Tuesday, March 21, 2006

From Consumer to Creator

I love to consume all the wonderful and interesting media that is out there on the web. However, there are frequently times at which I am unable to find exactly what I am looking for out there. That drives me crazy. This along with the fact that I have recently discovered how to build webpages has brought me to the conclusion that in order to find the content on the web that I want, I must join in the fun by becoming a creator of content. My first project is a family website for my extended family. I want us to be able to share important calendar dates, email, photos, and stories easily in one location. I am going to build an awesome website for this to happen in. My second project will be a website for my younger brother and the band he is forming. I want to be able to post free, downloadable music on his site. I am just beginning to discover the power at my fingertips with my laptop. I used to think that without the Microsoft Office Suite on my laptop, it was useless. This is why it sat collecting dust in my closet for about a year. How pathetic is that. There is so much more that can be done on a laptop than Office.
I have just recently learned to write in html using css. I have tried a little javascript, but don't really know how and why it works. I can't wait to learn more so as to be able to incorporate it into my content. As an aspiring high school teacher, I can't wait to teach my students to create content to share on the web. That's what makes this whole thing so interesting: everybody just shares what they are doing in a collective space. I am a creative person, but I don't feel that I have the right medium for displaying that creativity. Hopefully in this way I will be able to share something substancial and meaninful with others. There is so much to learn, and so much content to create, but so little time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home