Monday, March 27, 2006

FreeMind

I want to offer some thoughts on some freeware I just downloaded and started using this past week called FreeMind. I would have to describe it as a kind of brain-storming/intuitive note-taking application. When I downloaded it, something said that it was awesome, but took a bit of getting used to. This was true. I started playing with it on Saturday, and quickly began to like it a lot. The first project I undertook with it was to map out the family website I am currently designing (Anderson-web). The way it works, is that you start with a central "node", and then branch further and further away from it using either sibling (on the same level), or child (one level below) "nodes." You can add icons, colors, fonts, font-sizes, etc. to your "mind-map". I feel that the way this works really is along the lines of the way I think. I have found that in regular note-taking I find myself leaving extra lines or writing in the margins next to an item because I always have something to add. I also have a hard time personally with re-reading notes that I take in order to study, or just find the most important things that I wrote down to begin with. FreeMind eliminates both of these problems. I started using it for note-taking, scripture study, and more stuff for my website. I think it will be one of my most-used apps from here on out. The fact that it is freeware is so awesome also. I have a budget of $0 for software, so I appreciate the work freeware developers do to make my life better. I would recommend this application to anyone who needs a more efficient way to keep track of their scatter-brained life. I'll try to keep mine under control with it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home