Tuesday, March 28, 2006

I've Enlisted

This morning as I was cleaning carpets at my early morning custodial job it dawned on me that I have enlisted in the Army...the TWIT Army. In case you aren't familiar with TWIT, it is a round-table podcast by Leo Laporte on issues in technology. Those who listen and participate are members of the TWIT Army. I listen to podcasts on technology, I use my Mac laptop daily, and I am constantly learning and improving my technological prowess. The computer project that I am about to embark on is the cleaning up of our HP desktop PC at home. It has so much garbage on it, and is slow. I'm sure it is infested with viruses and spyware. I want to get that all cleaned up. The second part of that project is to copy all of the family photos that are on that PC on both a CD and on my Mac. We only have one copy of those photos, and they are in the worst place. Kara would die if all those baby photos and glimpses of the kids growing up were lost. I want to be able to something more with them than we have done up to this point. I think the family website I am building will be an awesome place to post our favorite photos of our wacky kids. Also, someday we'd like to have physical copies of those pictures and I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen with them sitting on that PC.
As a member of the TWIT Army I dream of the day when I have a new Mac laptop and we have an iMac at home. Then I will set up a wireless network. Kara says she doesn't really have a desire to be really computer literate, but I'm not sure I believe that. I think she just needs to feel more confident with what she's doing on the computer. It will also help when the computer she is working on is fast, and has software on it that she would actually use. I want her to be able to do all the fun stuff that I am able to do on my laptop on a daily basis.
It feels good to be that resident computer geek in the family. I don't turn to people to solve my computer problems anymore, I now know where to find the answers I need. Geek to live!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home