Wednesday, August 16, 2006

A Classroom Book

I have had this idea of creating a book to document each class I teach. The idea for creating and self-publishing a book has come from a variety of podcasts which have discussed a website called lulu.com. This site is dedicated to helping authors of all ages, styles, and stages of experience to easily self-publish books on demand. I have heard a lot about the site, but am just getting started in exploring the site itself as far as what it contains.
So here's my idea. I want to create a book for each and every class I teach that contains my thoughts and plans, my students thoughts, examples of student work, photos of students and experiences, and other fun and insightful content. I picture having a hardback copy of a book for each class I teach as a technology teacher. I would then display it for my students and enable them to purchase a copy of it if they are interested.
For myself, I would like to have a visual representation of my journey as a teacher over the course of each class. I could write a brief overall plan for the class to feature at the beginning of the book, and then I could write a reflection once or twice a month to get a picture of where I am and where my class is going. I think that would be fascinating to read after the end of class.
Another way of thinking about this kind of a book is a sort of visual portfolio of each class. I know I am going to have students who will produce awesome work, but how do I keep all of that around? Having a bookcase which is dedicated to these books will be a great way to keep tabs on that great work.
I want to create a meaningful method of preserving my memories as a teacher. I'm glad I have thought of this well before I have started teaching. I want by first year of teaching documented. 30 years from now that will be awesome to look back on. I could maybe turn all of this into a project for each class. The possibilities are endless.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home