Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Rotary Cellphone

Ever since Make Magazine posted a how-to on an analog rotary cell phone, I have been dying to have one. This is a big step for me seeing as how I am not a huge fan or cell phones in general. My wife has one, but I simply don't want people to have access to me anytime, anywhere. But the thought of carrying around a clunky, retro, rotary phone, and having it work like a cell phone is very appealing to me. I want to have it sitting on my desk when I am teaching high school, and have it ring during class. I am highly motivated to learn whatever I need to know to make it happen. I would love to teach my students how to do it, so that they could buy their own rotary phone and be able to build it.
So I have been looking for a rotary phone at yard sales in our area on Saturdays. No luck so far. This morning as I was listening to this week's episode of Twit, it reminded me that I haven't done any searching on eBay for a phone. I looked, and I found tons. Most were going to cost $20 including shipping to get. I went ahead and bid on a white phone whose auction ends in about an hour. It is only going to cost $11. Actually having a phone in my possession will get me on the ball as far as getting the other necessary components. I'm excited to make this happen, and to stretch my geekiness to new bounds.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home