Tuesday, July 25, 2006

New Podcast/ Website Ideas

I am excited to start producing podcasts when I finally get a laptop that is fast enough to do it. This morning I had 2 ideas for podcasts I might do. The first is the BYU Alumni Podcast. I would use it as a way to talk to BYU alumni who are leaders in their respective fields or are just really cool people. There is already a site where BYU students can network with alumni. I think it would be really cool to hear alumni talk about what they are doing, and what they majored in, maybe even the road they took to their current job. A showcase of sorts for alumni. I would listen to it if it existed.
The second idea I had the other day was for a website for my virtual insect collection. I have a fondness for insects. They are cool and fun to catch and observe. I have a collection with dead bugs, but I have recently renounced the killing of bugs for my collection (I kill spiders on command of my wife). So instead of keeping dead bugs in a box, I would like to capture digital photos of cool bugs I catch, along with all the same data of date, place, and habitat that I would keep with my dead bugs. With a good digital camera I think it would be great. While out with my kids yesterday, I caught 2 insect families that I have never caught before (both aquatic). It was a lot of fun, and my son caught one of them repeatedly after letting it go briefly. Capturing those memories would be awesome.
Along with a website, I think an entomology podcast would be a lot of fun. I could talk about the different insect families, where to find them, equipment used to catch them, and other information related to bugs. I could record myself out in the field actually catching bugs. Nothing technical, just fun and interesting. Again, I would listen to a podcast like this if it existed.
Well, there's another one of my ideas out there that may or may not come to fruition someday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home